Pine County Fair Talent Contest 2022
Rules and Information
Based on MN State Fair Rules and Regulations
SUNDAY, August 7th, 2022 at 6PM in the Bandshell
Eligibility: The contest is open to all amateur entertainers. Professionals are NOT permitted to compete. This includes Union musicians and anyone whose principal source of income is from their talent. Compensation for performing weddings, etc. does not constitute principal source of income.
Divisions: All acts compete in one of three different divisions, based on the age of the contestant.
The Preteen Division is open to contestants ages 12 and under only.
The Teen Division is open to contestants age 13 through 18 only.
The Open Division is open to any contestant, regardless of age.
In cases where the act consists of a group of people, choose the division that is appropriate for the majority of the group members.
Accompanists, when not a part of the act, may be any age.
WINNERS IN EACH OF THREE DIVISIONS WILL RECEIVE:
1st Place – $150 plus plaque and chance to compete at the MN State Fair Talent Contest
2nd place – $100
3rd place – $50
Entries and Times
- Entry is by advance registration only. All entries must be received by Ed Pangerl no later than August 1st. (address on entry form)
- Entry is open to anyone, however Pine County residents will be accepted first.
- First place winners will agree to represent the County of Pine at the MN State Fair competition.
- Pine County Fair reserves the right to accept or refuse any entry.
- Competition will begin following Arts-In.
- Check-in time is 5 PM Please allow yourself plenty of time for check-in and any questions.
- The Pine County Fair will provide microphones and computer technology.
- Vocalists may use recorded accompaniment, provided it contains instrumental accompaniment only.
- Absolutely NO vocals are allowed on the recording.
- Any vocal contestant using accompaniment recording with vocals of any kind will be disqualified.
- Those contestants using flash drives or CD’s, please have them ready for the sound person.
- You will be responsible for transporting your equipment.
- If you have a band or heavy equipment the necessary arrangements can be made prior to the competition with the Talent Coordinator.
- Four minutes will be allowed for all contestants and points will be deducted for contestants going over that limit.
- Musical groups and vocalists are allowed to perform a medley of tunes, but must remain within the 4 minute limit.
- Please provide your accompaniment to the sound person when the contestant before you begins to perform.
- If a contestant has previously won a division at the Pine County Fair, they may not compete again in that division in the next year.
- Former Teen Division first place winners will be allowed to compete the Open Division.
- Past Preteen first place winners must compete in the Teen Division, or the Open Division if they are not of age to compete in the Teen Division.
- Previous Open Class first place winners are not eligible to compete again in the Open Class Division for a period of 2 years.
- Any contestant who has won 1st place in any division at the Minnesota State Fair is not allowed to compete again in the Pine County Contest.
- These rules are set by the MN State Fair Talent Contest
- Contestants in all classes will be judged on Quality of Performance, Stage Presence, Entertainment Value and Choice of Selection.
- Judges decisions will be final and scores with comments will be released to the contestants.
- Remember the following:
Cuteness doesn’t always equal talent
Audience input helps, but does not sway the judges
The judges are choosing the most qualified contestant to win – One who will represent the County of Pine and could win it all at the State Fair.
- Any interference by competitors or anyone present at competition, to influence or dictate the judges in this contest will result in disqualification, with forfeiture of any awards and/or prize money.
- No harassment of Talent Contest officials, judges, or other competitors will be allowed
- Following the announcement of the winners; winning contestants will be asked to provide their Social Security number and fill out the winner sheet that will be forwarded to the MN State Fair Office.
- First place winners will agree to represent the County of Pine at the MN State Fair Talent
- Contest to be able to claim award and prize money.
- Contestants for the State Fair Competition will be scheduled on a first come/first serve basis.
- When the State Fair schedules your winning act, they will take precaution to work around the dates that are convenient for you, in addition to working around your selection to avoid duplication of songs, music, etc.
- Your appearance date at the MN State Fair Competition may not be changed, once you have filled out the sheet.
- The MSF Talent Contest Coordinator will send you a confirmation letter indicating the date you will perform.
Please be sure that you have read and understand all the rules – If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact.